Friday, November 5, 2010

Rice

Everybody needs to buy a rice cooker. I got mine for $13. Mom gave me a 50 lb bucket of rice and I have eaten all of it in a year. I eat rice with everything. One of my favourites is teriyaki chicken. What you do is you buy skinless boneless chicken thighs from winco and you simmer them in Mr. Yoshidas sweet and savory sauce(from costco) mixed with brown sugar for about 90 minutes. About 60 minutes in you need to break the chicken into smaller pieces and if it's soft enough you can even do it with a spoon. Serve over white rice. If you want your white rice to taste good you gotta mix in some salt and oil with the water, trust me. Also, don't double the water. 1 cup of rice needs somewhere between 1.5-1.75 cups of water.

Another favourite is chili. If you go to 'el matador' in downtown boise during happy hour you can get a bowl of delicious spicy chili for $4. The trick is to take it home and eat it with rice because all of a sudden it turns into two meals that taste better than the original chili.

5 comments:

  1. with the teriyaki chicken you need a little bit of water in the pot also in addition to the sauce and brown sugar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jake you already broke the rules. You need a label!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why is a rice cooker needed, can't I just cook it on the stovetop? I am so glad you gave the recipe for teriyaki chicken, I LOVED it! Can you give the recipe for the veggies you made with it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. How many thighs do you normally use?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I eat one thigh myself which ends up being quite a bit of meat. I can't even remember how I mad the veggies. I think I just chopped up peppers, onions and broccoli and cooked them with olive oil. A rice cooker is needed to make good rice. The stovetop is needed to make the teriyaki chicken. You can make your rice on the stovetop but it just doesn't come out as good.

    ReplyDelete